Raised in Canada, Phyllis Green moved to California to pursue graduate studies in art. She received an M.F.A. from UCLA in 1981, and began her professional career as an artist, educator and curator in Los Angeles. Her practice integrates gender politics, the sphere of craft and influences of modernism. Though she has worked in video and installation, Green is primarily an object maker who represents the body. Green’s work has been exhibited extensively in exhibitions nationally and internationally.
She is the recipient of individual artist’s fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts, the California Arts Council, and the Pollock-Krasner Foundation; and was among the first group of artists to be awarded a C.O.L.A. grant by the City of Los Angeles in 1996. In 2010 she received project grants from the City of Santa Monica and the Durfee Foundation. The John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation, New York, named her a Fellow in Fine Arts in May 2014.
Green has lectured in colleges and universities worldwide and has held teaching positions for extended periods at UCLA and Loyola Marymount University in Los Angeles. She is currently an adjunct faculty at the Roski School of Art and Design at USC. She was appointed to the Santa Monica Arts Commission in 2000, and elected Chair from 2004 to 2006. She was appointed Deputy Director of The Christopher Isherwood Foundation based in Santa Monica in 2011.
A.F. Gilmore Company
The A.F. Gilmore Company is one of the oldest family-held businesses in Los Angeles with roots dating back to the late 1800s. The purchase of 256-acres in the Rancho La Brea held much promise for Arthur Fremont (A.F.) Gilmore and his family. With the discovery of oil on the Gilmore property at the turn of the century, the land quickly transformed from dairy farm to oil field and eventually became known as Gilmore Island. With the help of A.F.’s son, Earl Bell Gilmore, they developed a vigorous, vital company that has earned a place in the hearts of generations of Angelenos.
The Company, celebrating its 100th Anniversary of incorporation this year, owns and operates The Original Farmers Market, a Los Angeles landmark since 1934. With more than 100 grocers, retailers and restaurants, the Farmers Market is a beloved gathering place for locals and is LA’s top tourist destination. The Company also owns and operates a variety of retail and office buildings throughout the Fairfax District. It has a rich legacy of successful enterprises at Third and Fairfax, including the Gilmore Oil Company (1900 – 1945), which was the largest oil company west of the Mississippi, Gilmore Stadium (1934-1950), Gilmore Field (1939-1957), Gilmore Drive-In Theatre (1948-1979), and Gilmore Bank (1955-2013).
Henry (Hank) L. Hilty, Jr., the Company’s President and CEO, and Stan Savage, the Company’s Director of Business Development, A.F.’s great grandson and great great grandson respectively, have been active supporters of the Craft and Folk Art Museum for many years and are proud that the Company is one of this year’s Craft Affair honorees.